Get your new fruit fly guide
KVH has developed a helpful new guide for growers, detailing the likely sequence of events if a fruit fly response was to occur in a kiwifruit growing region.
The guidelines can be used to help business continuity planning at an orchard level and are split into sections that cover:
· fruit fly distribution across the world and why they are a threat to New Zealand
· what to look out for on orchards
· controls to keep fruit flies from getting here
· detection methods in case they do get here
· controls in the event of a detection and different levels of response
· how to maintain business continuity and what activities can take place on the orchard in responses
· how growers and orchards are affected by export restrictions.
The information in the guide is based on Queensland Fruit Fly (QFF) and should be treated as guidance as every response is different and things like controlled area zones and market access restrictions can change from one response to the next.