New fruit fly grower guide
KVH has developed a helpful new guide for growers, detailing the likely sequence of events if a fruit fly response was to occur in a kiwifruit growing region, to allow for business continuity planning at orchard level.
The guide is split into several different sections and covers:
· fruit fly distribution across the world and why they are a threat to New Zealand
· what to look out for on orchards
· controls to keep fruit flies from getting here
· detection methods in case they do get here
· controls in the event of a detection and different levels of response
· how to maintain business continuity and what activities can take place on the orchard in responses
· how growers and orchards are affected by export restrictions.
The information in the guide is based on Queensland Fruit Fly (QFF) and should be treated as guidance as every response is different and things like controlled area zones and market access restrictions can change from one response to the next.
The guide has been added to the fruit fly section of the KVH website and can be downloaded here. Please contact KVH is you would like a copy printed and sent to you.